A leading Insurance Company based in the City of London is looking for a talented Data Scientist with exceptionally strong academic background, outstanding technical skills in a variety of programming languages and modern statistical analytics tools to assist in developing and applying data science, machine learning and other statistical techniques to draw insights on insurance products, customers and operational processes and shape the strategic direction of data usage within the business.
You will work within the technical pricing team providing insight and analytical services over diverse large scale data for primarily pricing purposes, but also marketing, operations and counter fraud functions.
You will be responsible for expanding data processing and technical modelling framework; establishing efficient ways of implementing segmentation and predictive models; and ensuring that reusable data assets build smoothly on a regular basis.
- Develop, operate, support and continually optimise a common data analytical platform that can support rapid discovery and deployment of data products
- Take responsibility for the delivery of specific pieces of Data Science work, managing the overall process of delivery and taking responsibility for data, modelling and communication of analysis to stakeholders
- Develop sophisticated and innovative data products that will have considerable and measurable impact; either in price determination, cost reduction, revenue increase or enable new business opportunities
- Work closely with the product deployment teams to enable the smooth and rapid transitioning of prototype data products and predictive models into robust product assets to be deployed into the business or market
- Establish credibility and thought leadership in the area of data science and to engage with the business intelligence and MI teams to ensure best practice, influence and contribute to the development of strategic vision for data usage within the company.
- Strong academic background (at least Master’s Degree in computer science, physics or math based or equivalent)
- Advanced SQL for data manipulation or experience of managing large-scale data sets within an analytical function
- Advanced experience of commercial data science or analytics software (e.g. R, SAS, SPSS, MATLAB etc.)
- Advanced experience in supporting coding languages, such as C++, Python and/or Java
- Advanced working knowledge of development-like environments, including shell scripting, version control etc.
- Strong analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
- Good written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with other business units in order to achieve common objectives
- Organised self-starter, with drive and commitment; able to finish work with little supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain effective working relationships
- Exceptional statistical skills, experience of building predictive models using a wide variety of tools and techniques (including: neural network, linear or logistic regression, random forest, gradient boosted machines, LASSO)